[lug] Installfest flyer

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Wed Apr 9 18:52:59 MDT 2003

Peter Hutnick wrote:

> D. Stimits said:
>
> >Peter Hutnick wrote:
>

> >>And it might be my printer, but the PDF version comes out kind of
> >>"fuzzy" like it was a JPEG at some point.
> >
> >Probably needs anti-aliasing.
>

> Hmm.  Have you ever seen text that has been JPEG compressed?  It isn't
> "jaggy."  The letters have little compression artifacts floating around
> them.

I saw the artifacts on the png, but they are not present on the original
.xcf. I can only assume it was either the export to png or export to pdf
that causes this. I don't think the formats in this case should in
themselves cause artifacts. Some of the fuzziness around the edges of
text are part of saving at the given resolution, but these were not the
artifact from the png you posted. I have to wonder what the export
mechanism is going from xcf to pdf. Was the sample png created as an
export from gimp's xcf? Or was it created from export of the pdf? I
assume from what you said that probably it was an export from the pdf.

> It is not visible on a 1:1 display in kghostview, but zooming in three
> times (300%?) shows it pretty clearly.  On a 1200x1200 dpi printout it
> is quite clear.
>

> >The penguin can get color added to it, but it might make it more
> >expensive to print. Do you have a sample colorized or gray-scale
> >penguin
> > I can look at to try and create color or gray-scale layers?
>

> I went to http://www.isc.tamu.edu/~lewing/linux/, got Tux 2.0
> (sit3-shine.7.gif, this is what you actually asked for), opened with the
> GIMP,  Image->Mode->Grayscale, saved.
>
> Find it and a shot of the artifacts I am talking about at
> http://home.hutnick.com/images/ .

I just sent a grayscale penguin version to Chris. Actually, the penguins
are all in their own layer, so it is a simple matter of turning off the
black and white layer, and turning on the grayscale layer. The form it
was sent in has the grayscale layer on, and black and white off.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com