[lug] Mozilla Mail Questions

Andrew Gilmore agilmore at uc.usbr.gov
Thu Apr 10 11:38:19 MDT 2003

George Sexton wrote:
> I am trying to use Mozilla for mail and I am running into some things
> that I hope someone can help me with. Outlook suddenly decided that it
> was so important that it needs to use 100% of my CPU 100% of the time.
>
> My questions are:
>
> When you are viewing messages in threaded view, and the thread is
> collapsed. I.E. it only shows the head message, how can you delete all
> messages in the entire thread. I tried pressing CTRL+DEL, SHIFT+DEL, etc
> and it only seems to delete one message at a time. The threaded view is
> really cool. It's particularly nice for mailing lists. I don't get why I
> cannot delete a thread in one action. Surely I'm not figuring something
> out  here.

Hmm, You can CTRL-SHIFT-A to select the whole thread, and then DEL. Not
sure if there is another quicker way.

> The second item is that when I reply to a message, it doesn't seem to
> put a copy of the message in the folder where the original message
> resides. For example, I use procmail to sort all of my messages. Under
> Outlook, when I hit reply, a copy of the reply was saved in the IMAP
> folder on my Linux server. I can't seem to figure out how to do this.
> The only solution I can think of is to select the BCC option and then
> add procmail rules to write it back to the correct folder. Surely
> there's something I am missing.

There does not appear to be a way to save the copy of the sent mail into
a on the fly selected folder. I just have the Sent folder for everything
  I send. However, you can select any one folder for the copy. BCC is
also possible, but haven't mucked with it.

> Is there a better solution than Mozilla Mail?

The Evolution effort has created a mail program that is supposed to be
as featureful as Outlook. It comes by default in RH 8 and up. I haven't
tried it, but it sounds like it has reached a "share with your
non-techie friends" level.

Andrew