[lug] Colorado "Super-DMCA" bill impacts on Internet, privacy, security

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Thu Apr 10 23:43:45 MDT 2003

Thanks, Jeff.  The amendments, like that cited below, did help, but
not enough in my opinion.  Note, e.g., this completely new text to
define something that was just not defined at all in the previous
version.  Seems awfully similar to the bad DMCA language:

  "(p) "UNLAWFUL ACCESS DEVICE" MEANS ANY ACCESS DEVICE OR OTHER
  INSTRUMENT, DEVICE, MACHINE, EQUIPMENT, TECHNOLOGY, OR SOFTWARE THAT
  IS PRIMARILY DESIGNED, DEVELOPED, ASSEMBLED,MANUFACTURED, SOLD,
  DISTRIBUTED, POSSESSED, USED, PROMOTED ADVERTISED, OR OFFERED FOR
  SALE FOR THE PURPOSE OF DEFEATING OR CIRCUMVENTING ANY EFFECTIVE
  TECHNOLOGY, DEVICE, OR SOFTWARE, OR ANY COMPONENT OR PART THEREOF,
  USED BY THE PROVIDER, OWNER, OR LICENSEE OF ANY COMMUNICATION
  SERVICE OR OF ANY DATA, AUDIO OR VIDEO SERVICE, PROGRAMS, OR
  TRANSMISSIONS, TO PROTECT ANY SUCH COMMUNICATION, DATA, AUDIO OR
  VIDEO SERVICE, PROGRAMS, OR TRANSMISSIONS FROM UNAUTHORIZED RECEIPT,
  ACQUISITION, INTERCEPTION, ACCESS, DECRYPTION, DISCLOSURE,
  COMMUNICATION, TRANSMISSION, OR RE-TRANSMISSION.";

Ron Tupa of Boulder was one of 3 senators to vote against it.  Thanks,
Ron!

It looks like it is scheduled for a vote at the end of the day on
Friday the 11th.  Hopefully they won't get to it and we have the
weekend to lobby.

-Neal