[lug] Installfest flyer

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Apr 14 10:05:01 MDT 2003

On Thursday 10 April 2003 04:58 pm, Ed Hill wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, have any of you folks tried TGIF
>
>   http://bourbon.cs.umd.edu:8001/tgif/index.html
>   (web site down at the moment--but available in Google cache)
>
> for vector drawings?  I realize that its for vector-object-based
> drawings, not actual images.  But it is a great way to create vector
> drawings for simple tech manuals, fliers, etc.  And it very gracefully
> outputs to vector-based (resolution-independent) PS/EPS formats for
> inclusion in, for example, LaTeX.

I used to use TGIF quite a bit back when I was publising papers with
drawings.  It was pretty klunky, but had a lot of features.  The main
point in its favor was that it was an order of magnitude better than xfig.
At the time these were the only free viector tools for Unix.

About two years ago I tried to do some simple drawings with lots of
objects.  Sketch was the only tool I could find that could handle it.  I
think I tried the Koffice tool (killustrator, now renamed something else),
dia, staroffice, and maybe another one.  Sodipodi looks really good, now,
too, though I haven't tested it much.

Michael