[lug] AMD Hammer

rise rise at knavery.net
Wed Apr 16 04:40:24 MDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, j davis wrote:

>   Since Im doing some upgrading, i was thinking about getting
> a hammer or opteron for my workstation. Is there be any
> reason I should wait...besides the fact that there not out just
> yet :)

Main one I can think of?  They're going to be brutally expensive right
now, especially since you pretty much can't find a company selling a
single processor version.  Believe me, I priced them during the
early-access program and again today.  Unless you're absolutely
determined to spend upwards of $8,000 I'd say look at the top of the
line AthlonMPs instead and buy yourself an Athlon64 (nice long wait
there) or Opteron box when the prices come down.  If you want to wait
the 800MHz FSB Intel boards and chips look pretty impressive.

Jonathan Conway						       rise at knavery.net