OT: Re: [lug] Letting Bush do the Arithmetic... Burning Books in Baghdad

Andrew Diederich diederic at boulder.net
Wed Apr 16 08:27:18 MDT 2003

This really is offtopic, and inappropriate for the Linux list. I think an
appropriate rule of thumb is that if it is offtopic for Slashdot, it is
certainly offtopic here.

95% of the traffic here is specifically linux related.  Most of the rest
falls into scripting or programming questions, sometimes Solaris or DNS
question, and even Microsft Windows since the folks on this list are very
knowledgeable.

In my opinion the DMCA email (well, the DMCA part) was on the outside edge
of appropriate for this list.  And that's because the list is the
_Boulder_ linux user group.  This bill could theoretically outlaw IPMASQ,
for goodness sakes.  However, the book burning email was far more on the
Boulder side than the Linux side.  I'm sure there's a Boulder list where
this is appropriate, but this isn't it.

We all have calm, reasoned opinions here, and can get incensed when the
other idiot Just Doesn't Get It(TM).  We simply need to avoid having those
discussions on the list.  Please have those discussions at the Dark Horse
before a BLUG meeting.  I'd even tell you then why we need a 100% gold
standard instead of a fractional reserve banking system, but I'm afraid
you'd gouge out your own eyes from boredom, or perhaps mine from
frustration.  But that topic is not appropriate for this list.

--
Andrew Diederich