[lug] Local MB Repair

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Wed Apr 16 15:31:57 MDT 2003

George Sexton wrote:

> It seems that I have some Motherboards dying of the "bad electrolytic
> capacitor" problem.
>
> I found a guy in Utah that replaces the capacitors mail order. Does anyone
> know someone locally that's doing this?

I doubt you'll find anyone who would do this for any reasonable rate.
Whether it can actually be done without doing more damage depends on a
lot of things, such as whether the capacitor leads (can't be surface
mount if it is electroylytic) are going through a plated or unplated
multilayer board. Finding the right replacement is in itself probably a
painful task...my guess is mail order is the only way you'll get it done
without paying a fortune or having someone unfamiliar with a board 4 or
more layers thick working on it.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com