[lug] Perl Question..

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Wed Apr 16 15:57:08 MDT 2003

Joseph asked:

> Not directly linux related, so hopefully I don't get flamed
> but can anyone think of a way to sort this array into a list
> which matches the actual calandar months? Meaning, Jan, Feb,
> March, April ... Dec. I've been racking my brain today to no
> avail:

I'll give what is probably the obvious answer:

Use a "reference" hash where the month name is the key and the value is
the number; e.g.:

my %months = ("January" => 1, "February" => 2, ...);

Then when you're sorting @array you could do a lookup into the hash to
determine what order to print or manipulate your data.

I don't know if that fits into the scheme of your larger script, but...

HTH,
Jeff