[lug] Ideas to Improve This List

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Wed Apr 16 16:25:39 MDT 2003

Andrew Diederich said:
> I'd even tell you then why we need a
> 100% gold standard instead of a fractional reserve banking system, but
> I'm afraid you'd gouge out your own eyes from boredom, or perhaps mine
> from frustration.  But that topic is not appropriate for this list.

It would be nice to have posting guidelines on the LUG page.  Perhaps with
a link included in the subscribe email.  And /maybe/ in the stuff appended
by the MLM.

A list of things to start discussion:

- No HTML email.
- No attachments (Maybe no bins and no attachments over 5k or something.
(for reference my XF86Config is 3k, but not very elaborate.))
- Use a subject
- Be on topic (meaning be at least one of the following):
   - Explicitly Linux related
   - Relevant to a component of a non-exotic Linux system (i.e. a UNIX
shell, a scripting or programming language commonly used on Linux
systems (perl, C, NOT VB), a piece of sw commonly used on Linux systems
(Apache, MySQL, NOT IE).

Also, why not run a free-for-all list?  I'd love to hear Andrew's views on
the monetary system, but I never make it to meetings.  It'd be nice to be
able to extend the social interaction that has grown up between us around
Linux -- beyond Linux.

I'd happily take on the admin duties of such a list.  (For the record I
was the primary admin of /all/ of the SquirrelMail lists for 18+ months.)

-Peter