[lug] Ideas to Improve This List

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Wed Apr 16 17:35:05 MDT 2003

J. Wayde Allen said:

> Much of what you suggest already exists in a number of ways, some of
> which has been forgotten and unused.  All of your suggestions could
> easily be implemented, and Sean used to run several free-for-all lists I
> think.  Don't know if any of those are still alive or not?

I submit that if it is forgotten and unused it doesn't count ;-)

I checked to see if there were guidelines before I posted, as I am growing
tired of the flavor of my foot, and I could find none.

> The current collection of mailing lists supported by BLUG can be seen
> at:

Not much crackin' there.

I am a believer in lots of tightly targeted lists clustered around a
general topic.  That way users can pick and choose what kinds of list
traffic they want, cafeteria style.

Of course, this engenders cross-posting.  Perfection is so elusive.

> Of these the meta list is very old and essentially no longer used.  That
> list could probably be eliminated.  There is also a IRC channel, I
> haven't visited there for some time.  Don't know if there is much
> activity there these days?

Well, there will be now!  (At least for today.)

>> I'd happily take on the admin duties of such a list.  (For the record
>> I was the primary admin of /all/ of the SquirrelMail lists for 18+
>> months.)
>
> Hmmmm ... if you are willing to take over list operations I'd be willing
> to step aside.  I've been maintaining these lists since I founded the
> BLUG nine or so years ago.  Lately the load of spam hitting the list has
> gotten to be rather burdensome, not to mention that maybe it is time
> that someone else take care of this for a while.

Woah.  I'd have to think twice on taking over the whole enchilada.

> Actually, I think that BLUG really needs to establish an elected
> administrative body.  Without such a mechanism it is too easy to get
> locked into a task here.  There really needs to be a graceful way for
> administrative tasks to turn over.

If the chair will recognize me, I second that motion ;-)

-Peter