[lug] standards for command line arguments?

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Wed Apr 16 18:10:29 MDT 2003

Does anyone here know if there exists a technically precise standard or
recommendation for UNIX style command line options? I'm looking for
something comprehensive, that includes such argument options as "-" to
tell the app to stop processing further text as an argument, or the "--"
argument on a startx line that tells startx to pass along (unaltered)
everything after the solo "--". I know there is something like the POSIX
1b standard for "Unix" style, and Linux has its LFS, but something that
guides how command line arguments should be *formatted* to work in a
standard way seems to be more tradition than standards. I'm not
satisfied with the C "getopts" function, nor with other wrappers, and am
working on my own C++ argument handling class (yes, I am bored, and it
seems light-weight C++ argument parsing classes don't exist or have
unacceptable other problems).

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com