[lug] Ideas to Improve This List

Nick Golder purenrg at hiveportal.net
Thu Apr 17 11:16:05 MDT 2003

On 03-04-17 08:41 -0700, the infamous Glenn Ashton uttered:

> Too much of this kind of discussion will eventually  mean that we'll have
> to incorporate, set up bylaws, etc.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's
> almost another discussion entirely as it creates a vastly different kind
> of group than what we have had historically.

I am new to the area and don't know too much about BLUG's history.
Anyone care to give a synopsis?  A brief run down on the current status
would be helpful, also.  Such as who is in charge of the servers, lists,
and coordinating speakers for meetings...

> I am in favor of a "volunteer coordinating group" that can get things done
> without too much overhead.  Want to be in the group? Send an email to the
> list and we can have a coordinating group list spawned.  This is sort of
> what happened with the first CU installfest and the bigger expo event that
> happened in Denver.
>
> This group would be responsible for reporting back to the list and asking
> for help.
>
> This list is a community.  I favor a kind of libertarian free association
> rather than a centrally governed regime.

I am also in favor of this style given that this is how the Free Software
movement has been so successful.  However, I am still in favor of
electing a body, not to govern, but to act as the hub of
coordination/information.  It has been my experience that people are
more willing to get involved when there is a higher level of order
rather than a free-for-all.

--
-Nick Golder
http://www.hiveportal.net