[lug] Relocating Users Web Page Directories

John E. Koontz koontz at boulder.nist.gov
Mon Apr 21 09:55:21 MDT 2003

At 08:23 AM 4/21/2003 -0600, you wrote:
> > What would
> > be the best course of action and what documentation would explain
> > the steps to make the configurations?  As it is, the users home
> > directories are purposely configured to block any outside users into
> > their accounts?
>
>I find that using simple file/directory permissions I can protect the
>users' home directories while allowing web access.  ...
>IMHO this is superior to symlinking everything because it's more
>straightforward and easier to maintain.

A more complex structure might be arise if the web server and the user file
server are different systems.  You might want $USER/public_html to reside
on the web server, whereas the rest of $USER would be on the file server.
John E. Koontz
NIST 896.04 PCSG
303-497-5180

N39° 59' 42.1" W 105° 15' 49.7"