[lug] Undeleting files on ext2/3

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Apr 21 10:45:41 MDT 2003

On Monday 21 April 2003 11:17 am, Rob Judd wrote:
> When I have the need to "undelete" a file on an ext2 filesystem I
> generally run mc (midnight commander) in its "browse deleted files"
> mode. Questions:
>
> 1. Is there a better way to do this for ext2 filesystems?
>
> 2. Is there any way to do this for ext3 filesystems?

Apparently not.  ext3 destroys all the information about where the file
used to be and the fix is not trivial.  The best solution is to use some
of the user mode rm replacements that move files instead of deleting them.

I think I read about a kernel patch, or maybe a glibc patch, that will make
backups, but I can't recall where.

Michael