[lug] Dumb Wireless Networking Questions

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Wed Apr 23 11:12:40 MDT 2003

OK, folks, these are n00b questions supreme, but I've never thought
about setting up my own wireless network before so bear with me.

I am giving serious thought to buying a Tungsten C, so I'd like a WAP at
home for internet access.  I assume for this to work, I just need to buy
a WAP (Linksys or whoever) and connect it to my Actiontec gateway (modem
cum router)?  Or am I missing a piece of hardware?

Are there any recommendations as to which WAP is best?  And, since
someday I'll probably be giving Qwest their gateway back, is a wireless
router a better purchase?  Or is it unadvisable to run a router off a
gateway (which seems like it could be)?

Thanks for any help.  The one-to-two computer networks I've laid out
aren't too useful for things like this.

Matt
--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good