[lug] RAID boot problems

Case Jones philipj at interchange.ubc.ca
Fri Apr 25 12:03:35 MDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:37:49 -0600
John Hernandez <John.Hernandez at noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Friday 25 April 2003 11:24 am, Case Jones wrote:
> > Since it's your root filesystem, I'm betting that you need to
> > compile into your kernel the modules that show up when you do
> > 'lsmod' on the rescue CD that can read the filesystem.
>
> Case, I was under the impression that these modules were loaded by the
> initial ramdisk I created using 'mkinitrd'.  Do I still need to
> include the modules in the kernel?

It is the easiest thing to do... the other thing that sprang to mind was
some sort of error in the raidtab file (such as the wrong filesystem
type or the wrong partition being mounted, for example if the
partitions are in a different order than you think/thought)

If the kernel can't read the root filesystem, it's an automatic panic,
so that's why my initial response was to make sure that the driver was
properly loaded and the kernel had raid support.

Case