[lug] minor boot message question

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Fri Apr 25 21:56:29 MDT 2003

Elyse Grasso wrote:

> I never deliberately told them to... must be a default setting
> somewhere.

During install of RH/KRUD, it asks whether to activate on boot or not.
Kudzu can sometimes detect new hardware and also ask. The place to edit
to remove the activate on boot is in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/.
There will be a file named after each ethernet card, and possibly more
than one if you have multihomed a NIC. Assuming it is just one ethernet
card, the file is ifcfg-eth0. If you have two cards, the 2nd NIC is
ifcfg-eth1, and so on. Within that file is a line similar to:
ONBOOT=yes

Just change it to:
ONBOOT=no

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com

PS: You will then have to activate the NIC manually. There is more than
one way to do that, including ifconfig. In the future ifconfig is
expected to go away, and simply use the ip command, which ifconfig is
apparently just a front-end for now. I don't know the ip syntax, but
"ifconfig eth0 up" or "ifconfig eth0 down" is one way to manually start
or stop the interface, assuming the NIC is otherwise configured.