[lug] Dumb Wireless Networking Questions

Jeff feenix at ticnet.com
Mon Apr 28 20:54:15 MDT 2003

Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:

>  *) The router has a built in DHCP server, while the stand alone does not
>     (relying on a network DHCP server).
>
>  *) The router's wireless interface is more reliable than the stand alone
>     one.

I've been considering getting one of these for some time.  However I
have a few questions:

1. Can I disable the DHCP/firewall functions in the device?  I have a
linux firewall/NAT/DHCP server that I would prefer to use.  Is is
possible to just use the device as a WAP/router and have the linux box
be the rest?  Basically, the device is passive.

2. Is there really any difference between one with a printer server and
the rest?  I would like to get laser printer in the future and have it
connected to the device via copper or wireless.  Would it be easier to
just get one with a built in print server or just the router and have
the linux box serve the printing functions?

Thanks for any help!

Jeff
--
Be really good to your family and friends. You never
know when you are going to need them to empty your bedpan.