[lug] XFS filesystem core code goes into AC series

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Wed Apr 30 13:33:02 MDT 2003

Nate Duehr wrote:

> And it can not be done on the root partition, so if you're a fan of "make
> the whole drive /" (I'm not, definitely.), you're out of luck.

XFS works fine on root partition, I have had a root partition now for
over 2 years as XFS. What you cannot do is put the boot loader on a
partition boot record, it must be in a master boot record. It is very
inconvenient to put XFS on a root partition, but having it supported
directly by Redhat or other distros would solve that (I don't pay
attention to other distros so far as XFS goes) inconvenience.

My only gripe (and that someone else has mentioned) is that it makes
boot kernels large, so large that a scsi system has problems making a
small enough boot kernel for a floppy (by the time you include both scsi
and xfs modules).

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com