[lug] Telnet-ing

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Wed Apr 30 13:39:22 MDT 2003

SoloCDM wrote:

> Prior to Mandrake 8.0 I was able to telnet to my server, now
> that isn't possible.  I tried everything I know to make it work.
> I know of ssh, but it isn't my primary concern.  What is blocking
> my telnets?

Even on Redhat, telnet is blocked by default if you install something
like "medium" security during the install...for all I know, maybe even a
minimal security disables that port to the outside. I'd suspect that
firewall settings changed.

See if anything is running. Via the inside of the machine, run
"/sbin/fuser -v -u -n tcp 23". It should report xinetd.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com