[lug] Digital Camera and gphoto

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Wed Apr 30 13:43:30 MDT 2003

Elyse Grasso wrote:

> I'm trying to get my new camera to talk to my Linux laptop, and I think
> I'm making progress in the wrong direction.
>
> Earlier this evening, I plugged in the usb cable and
> /proc/bus/usb/devices knew there was a Canon camera there, but said
> there wasn't a driver for it.
>
> After downloading and building libusb, libgphoto2, and gphoto2,
> the laptop is now not recognizing that the camera is connected to it:
>
> # cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
> T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
> B:  Alloc=  0/900 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0
> D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
> P:  Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 0.00
> S:  Product=USB UHCI Root Hub
> S:  SerialNumber=dce0
> C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=  0mA
> I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
> E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=255ms
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions about things to try ...
>
> I have verified that my usb external drive still works, so I haven't
> completely hosed the usb subsystem...

I think the USB scripts are designed to load or unload modules and/or
software at plugin time. If your kernel has the right modules, you
should be able to manually insmod the modules and use the software. Once
you can do that, then editing the USB scripts in /etc/hotplug/ (at least
in RH this is where), then it will recognize the camera. Tying the right
recognition of camera to module load/unload to the recognition should
make it hotplug. I'd guess that the installation of the libusb altered
your /etc/hotplug/ scripts, and overwrote the one that recognized canon
camera before now. So, first get manual insmod of modules to work, then
recognition via hotplug, then tie the recognition in hotplug to module

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com