[lug] XFS filesystem core code goes into AC series

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Wed Apr 30 15:26:36 MDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 09:23:27AM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> Make sure to check out the different journaling modes on ext3 also.  I have
> seen reports on the web that using the Data: Journaled mode vs. Data:
> Ordered mode can increase performance (at only a slight loss of meta-data
> information) dramatically.

I usually don't bother with a lot of performance tweaks. None of my
work requires high bandwith or fast directory scans [well, i manage a
document store with hughe amounts of files per dir and really think
of using ReiserFS for that].

> There were a couple of good articles on IBM's DeveloperWorks site about ext3
> a while back.  Good primer info.
>
> I haven't had a chance to test the speed claims yet.  (And no, I won't take
> their word for it.  GRIN...)
>
> And it can not be done on the root partition, so if you're a fan of "make
> the whole drive /" (I'm not, definitely.), you're out of luck.

Really? As far as i remember my PowerPC has one huge '/' -- only the
'/boot' is on a separate partition. And that's my testbox for ext3.

 Ralf Mattes