[lug] XFS filesystem core code goes into AC series

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Wed Apr 30 16:23:32 MDT 2003

The Matt wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 13:33, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> >My only gripe (and that someone else has mentioned) is that it makes
> >boot kernels large, so large that a scsi system has problems making a
> >small enough boot kernel for a floppy (by the time you include both scsi
> >and xfs modules).
>

> Well, I'm already at the point where, for my SMP machine at work, I need
> to use a CD-RW as a bootdisk.  The SMP kernel, et al, is just a bit
> bigger than a floppy disk.  I suppose I could go in and trim out the
> kernel bits I don't need, but frankly CD's are cheap enough that I don't
> bother.[1]

I know the feeling, my only non-SMP is a firewall/bridge.

> I kinda wish my machine supported boot off of a USB thumb drive.  It'd
> be kinda cool to do that.  But, at least I was able to brush off my
> shell script skills and make a "makebootcd" script.

Recently I told someone how I'd wished that floppies had never been
invented, that compact-flash should have been invented first (I know,
impossible, much more expensive tech), that floppy limitations make them
an abomination.

Incidentally, there is an article on XFS and U320, it seems it is now
possible to do some extreme filesystem I/O with this combination on
linux. They didn't come right down to saying it, but it hinted that even
with non-hardware accel U320, the linux drivers on Xeon with
hyperthreading and XFS can beat asynchronous I/O and hardware accel of a
windows server:
http://www.open-mag.com/35773583279.htm

It'll be nice when there is full stock kernel asynchronous I/O support.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com