[lug] XFS filesystem core code goes into AC series

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Wed Apr 30 19:48:04 MDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 17:56, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> The Matt said:
> > On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 13:33, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > Well, I'm already at the point where, for my SMP machine at work, I need
> > to use a CD-RW as a bootdisk.  The SMP kernel, et al, is just a bit
> > bigger than a floppy disk.  I suppose I could go in and trim out the
> > kernel bits I don't need, but frankly CD's are cheap enough that I don't
> > bother.[1]
>
> Uh . . . a single processor kernel will work fine on an SMP box.  Your
> fsck (or "vi /mnt/etc/fstab" or whatever) ain't going to take much longer
> using only one CPU.

Well, a month or so ago, my Grub screwed up.  To the point that it just
locked up on boot.  So, I had to use my bootdisk, then get to X and read
how to get Lilo up and running.  You learn quickly that if your box is
SMP and each processor is rather modest, you really don't want to run
GNOME 2.2 on just one.  So, I decided I think having a bootdisk with
both processors running is a good thing.

Yes, I know a UP kernel is fine, but for those of us whose boxes are not
Athlon 2200+ duals, having both procs running is a need in X.

> > [1]  I've been searching for a mini CD-RW in affordable packs for my
> > boot CDs.  I can only find 10-packs, without jewel cases.  If anyone
> > knows a good place to find mini CD-RWs in cases, singly or say 3-5 a
> > pack, let me know.
>
> If you join the FSF you get a membership card that is a /pressed/ "credit
> card" GNU/Linux (LNX-BBC) boot CD.

I have a Knoppix CD around.  Good enough.
--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good