[lug] XFS filesystem core code goes into AC series

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu May 1 22:45:16 MDT 2003

> Data: Journaled does not compromise safety of metadata, only regular
> file data for programs that do write-append (e.g. log files).  Data:
> Jouranled is still safe with respect to the metadata itself.

Ahh - thank you.  Someone who knows what they're talking about.  I don't!
;-)

So sounds like you've played with it.  I haven't been able to yet.  I'm
still trying to find a box I don't care about to try it out.  Maybe sometime
I'll actually get a chance to really test it thoroughly
somewhere/sometime... but I'm doubting that.  So files that are appended-to
and open are damaged upon power loss, etc.  Okay.  I'm more interested in...
if the metadata's "okay" upon remounting after a power loss, etc... does it
just truncate those files and move on, or does it go back to the ol' "needs
manual intervention" mode, i.e. stares at you stupidly waiting for an fsck?

I've been messing around with getting automated tape changers and tape
backup software to do what I want it to this week, and so far I've burnt up
enough time I could have done 4 full company-wide backups with shell scripts
and dump... ahh, the joys of automation.

All this work better pay off!

And whoever designed the ADIC Faststor 22's firmware should be shot... 7
minutes 22 seconds -- yes I timed it -- to barcode scan every tape every
time one is removed or inserted to make sure it knows where each barcode
labeled tape is located after the movement of tapes in the changer...
sigh...

The first time you watch it do it you think, oooh... neat.  The next time
you think... man this takes a long time... by the sixth or seventh... well,
let's say you're thinking it's time to go home for the day.  And co-workers
and even your boss the former sysadmin saying "man that thing is noisy"
aren't really helping you wish otherwise... GRIN.

Speaking of that, I suppose I ought to log in and see what the software says
it's doing now... it has this knack for traversing NFS mounts even when told
not to.  Might as well go see if I'm backing up one machine right now or
four... (GRIN).  At least the "Abort Job" button works wonderfully!

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com