[lug] CAN NOT PRINT, need help

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu May 1 23:14:17 MDT 2003

> > > I have successfully partitioned a 40 ghz drive to use 12 ghz for linux
> > > while maintaining my MS windows capability. I have 3 physical
computers
> > > in my home (A,B, & C) all hubbed together and using Sprint Wireless
> > > Broadband to connect to the internet. My "A" computer is partitioned
as
> > > "A_ms" and "A_lx".
> > >

> wow.  those are fast drives

LOL!  Dan I didn't even catch that he typed "ghz" instead of "gb".

(And of course, both of these abbreviations refer to proper nouns, so should
be capitalized, and little-b is "bit" not "byte", but who's counting?  And
it's GHz not Ghz, as another friend of mine pounds into my head regularly.)

To answer the poor person's question -- unless someone here has specifically
the same printer you have, you may not get much of an answer -- however,
there are a number of good printer setup references online, including
http://www.linuxprinting.org/ and maybe something like this one...
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/210/1/ .

At first glance, the only "820" in Epson I see supported is the PM 820C and
there's nothing called "Epson 820" in the list.  The PM 820C information is
here: http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-PM_820C

Depending on the printer, and your patience level - Linux printing can still
be frustrating for Linux old-timers even.  Always check Google
(www.google.com) for phrases like "setting up Epson 820 + RedHat 9" also...
someone super-smart and with more time on their hands than they know what to
do with has probably documented it, step-by-step.

Well, I didn't find anything right off the bat, but this dude has a cool
photo of his Epson Stylus Photo 820 CD that shattered into little bits
inside his CD-ROM drive... and some crazy stories about reloading his web
server with different versions of Linux and giving up and loading Windows
2000...
http://www.racenerd.com/nuke2/html/modules.php?name=News&new_topic=9.

Amazing what Google will hit on, sometimes.  :-)

And I see from this page... (also from the Google search)... that support
for the Epson 820C was added to foomatic (there's info about what foomatic
is at the linuxprinting.org site) on 10-02-2002.  :-)
http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic2.9/foomatic-db-hpijs/ChangeLog

And here's an even weirder page at one of Epson's sites in Japan that says
you have to have openssl installed to use some RPM, that might be something
they release?  http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/pips_e.html Hmm...
that would lead me to poke around their website for that... maybe they
provide a print driver?  Although that's really odd they would need openssl
for it to load and they obviously didn't put that in the RPM's
dependencies... uggh.

And finally -- from the looks of this:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/pipermail/epson-list/2003q1/002442.html there's