[lug] Oracle 9i install on Redhat 9

Joseph P. Crotty jcrotty18 at attbi.com
Fri May 2 22:43:32 MDT 2003

> > hey gang,
> >
> > I installed Oracle 9i (v9.2.0.1) on a Redhat 8 box in a pretty
> sizeable battle,
> > but it worked for the most part.  I upgraded the box to Redhat 9
> and all hell
> > broke lose, mostly complaints about GLIBC2 from Java visa vie Oracle.
> >
> > So, in a panic I uninstalled the whole thing (i.e. it was just an
> empty database
> > I put on to get some practice doing Oracle/Linux installs and
> running OEM) and
> > tried a fresh install and now I am really up a creek.  The install
> hangs with 0%
> > complete while trying to copy a README file.  Be happy to provide more
> > details...
> >

> Oracle is pretty picky about what is "supported."  You'll notice in the
> release notes for RH 9 that they are using a new threading model and
> that, java may  have problems with it.
>
> Try export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 in your shell and then run the oracle
> installer script from that terminal.
>
> If that doesn't work, try export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5

That seems to garnish the best results yet.  However, you still get the usual
assortment of dreadfull errors (e.g. .extract_args, .java_wrapper, env_ctx.mk,
etc...).  Of course, SysAdmin will just ignore all that and furiously click
away.  Sadly, I could fix some of the install problems, but not all.  In the end
after the install finishes only about half the standard utilities work, of
course, and the others hava to be hand massaged with vi to be coerced not to
barf.

> For something that is supposed to be so wonderful, oracle sure is a pain
> to install.
>
> There may be other hints in the release notes that may provide insight
> into the install problem.  You could also try running the installer via
> strace to see where it is hanging up.
>
> Hugh

Thanks for your advice Hugh, it was rock solid.  I think the Oracle Installer
basically blows at this point.  My final word would be that for the average Joe
SysAdmin Oracle 9i on Redhat 9 is a ROYAL pain (i.e. Heaven forbid you have REAL
developers doing REAL work on that setup in production).  Right now Oracle 9i is
at v9.2.0.1, they do have a v9.2.0.2 but its only avaliabe for Linux64 boxes.
Maybe v9.2.0.2 installer will be less buggy, but in the meantime I finally gave
up and warmly embraced good ole MySQL.

For those wishing to suffer much fine advice on Oracle 9i installs on RH can be
had at:

http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.shtml
http://www.oracle.com/forums/thread.jsp?forum=64&thread=173697&message=448586&q=
4f7261636c6520392e322e30206f6e2052656468617420392e3020496e7374616c6c2048616e6720
4a6f73657068204d2e204f616b73#448586

Joe