[lug] OT: viewing 'public html' and other similar directories

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Sat May 3 10:29:23 MDT 2003

luke p said:
> Hey,
> I'm curious if there is a way to few what files are in web directories
> that  already have a index.htm file. For example, I go to
>
> www.website.com/directory/
>
> but at that URL there is an index.htm file so I can't see what other
> publicly available files there are, I'm wondering if there is a way to
> make  them viewable?

There is no way inherent to the HTTP protocol.  If fact, there isn't a way
to list the files in a directory inherent to HTTP if there /isn't/ an
index file.  Most webservers will do this unless told not to, but it is a
server function.

If you don't mind being /very/ rude to the webserver you could try a
dictionary attack.  (Note that they will probably notice 2.2 x 10^14 404s
from your IP in the logs, and have something to say to your ISP.)

A better way would be to search google thus:

   site:www.website.com directory "some text you think is in the PDF"

If that doesn't yield the results you want omit "directory."

(Note that google /does/ index the text inside PDFs.)

-Peter