[lug] OT: viewing 'public html' and other similar directories

Nick Golder purenrg at hiveportal.net
Sun May 4 13:32:39 MDT 2003

On 03-05-04 21:35 +0200, the infamous rm at fabula.de uttered:
> On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 11:02:14AM -0600, Nick Golder wrote:
> > Read the manpage for wget(1).  It will do exactly what you want.  There
> > are even examples for for get files with specific file types in
> > designated directories.  Crude but it sure does work. ;-)
>

> Unless your version of 'wget' has the special gift of reading the
> server admins mind i don't see how this is possible. It shure can
> *filter* the list of resources to download (by all sorts of fancy
> URL regexping and/or content type filtering), but for doing so the
> program needs to start with a given URL. There's really *no* way
> to get a listing of resources contained within a webservers collection.
>
> my 0.002$
>
>   Ralfd

You are right and I think I misread Luke's original email.
When I read "publicly available files", I was thinking of files that have
a publicly available referral link (ie. they are linked to from another
document) and this was a situation of a saturated site and not being
able to find a past visited file/link (which I think is what he said)
then a simple:
wget -nc -r http://somesite/ will build you a directory with all the
publicly available/linked files and hopefully help in the search.

And that is my $0.002(10).

--
-Nick Golder
http://www.hiveportal.net