[lug] what makes a good cpu fan?

Jeff feenix at ticnet.com
Sun May 4 15:51:46 MDT 2003

I buy the cheapest ones I can find.  About 3 years ago, I had to replace
the fan (only) in my AMD k6-2 machine.  Typically, what I've seen is
only the fan goes out.  If you can replace just that, it would be
easiest.  The heatsink is just a piece metal.  The fan *should* unscrew
from the heatsink.

Jeff

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> I'm wondering what makes a cpu fan the most reliable? Is it brushless
> design? Is it a ball bearing design? This might not matter, because I'm
> searching for a replacement on an old Pentium 1 MMX 166. The machine
> runs 24/7, and has not had a part failure ever in many years (it is
> beyond what many would consider its life expectancy, but it is a very
> nice firewall/bridge, and the cpu can almost survive even without a
> heatsink).
>
> Secondarily, where would people buy a good (old) heatsink/fan combo for
> the old Pentium 1?
>
> D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com

Be really good to your family and friends. You never
know when you are going to need them to empty your bedpan.