[lug] apt-get

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Mon May 5 13:40:38 MDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 13:25, jd wrote:
> Hello,
>   Sometimes when I apt-get update & upgrade my debain 3.0 testing
> box, it will hold packages back. when i see a message like the
> one below...do i need to worry...from a security standpoint?
>

> mohadib:~# apt-get upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages have been kept back
>   cpp e2fsprogs g++ gcc gkrellm-bfm iamerican ibritish ispell libpng2
>   libpng2-dev
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 10  not
> upgraded.
> mohadib:~#

From my apt-get for rpm experience, I get this a lot with new packages.
I usually get it when a package has a new version, but a dependency
isn't met yet.

Say, I try to apt-get a galeon which requires mozilla 1.4b, yet no 1.4b
exists yet in the depository, then the package is held back.

This being said, there could be other situations where packages are held
back that I haven't seen.

--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good