[lug] pitfalls of C++ with ncurses?

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Mon May 5 14:15:03 MDT 2003

DS> I found docs for one such wrapper, but it was written in around
DS> 1998, and apparently abandoned.

Are you perhaps talking about:

   http://smurman.best.vwh.net/Drat/

It seems to have some of those bases covered, and they claim that 2.8
compiles it (and that at least some of it has been converted to STL).

DS> There appears to be not one shred of docs on the ncurses-c++-devel
DS> rpm's, other than acknowledgement that they exist. The gnu.org web
DS> pages are also quite vague relative to C++ documentation. Oh well.

Gag.  :(

There are a few more hits; doing a Google search for:

   "C++" curses wrapper

Got me some of these:

   http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-ncurses/2003-03/msg00030.html

There's also an explicit mention of "C++ Bindings" in the ncurses
changelog.  What's that all about?

Anyway.  I agree that there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on a
C++ wrapper for curses, so I find myself surprised.  If you're
comfortable in C++, it should be fairly easy to write wrappers for the
basic functions; that could be a fun exercise.  Also, even if Drat has
been unmaintained since 1998, it might be a base to start off.

Good luck,
t.