[lug] Suspend mode on laptops

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Thu May 8 19:14:23 MDT 2003

William Petty wrote:
>   I really like to use the suspend mode on my laptop between uses. but...
>
> On my Toshiba Tecra 8100 suspend mode seemed to work flawlessly
> for several weeks, but when I did a shutdown and reboot, I found that the
> file system (EXT2) was corrupted beyond repair.  This happened twice
> so I stopped using it.  I now have a dell Latitude 840 and am afraid to try
> it for fear of losing my entire install again.
>
> What are your experiences and suggestions?  Should I use hibernate
> instead?

Not necessarily going to solve the problem completely, but I'd suggest
syncing the file system before every suspend.  If you use apmd, you can
probably automate this.  You could also consider ext3.  It is a bit
harder on the batteries due to the 5-second commit time, but still not
too bad if you mount with noatime.