[lug] Suspend mode on laptops

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Thu May 8 21:21:36 MDT 2003

William Petty said:

> I really like to use the suspend mode on my laptop between
> uses. but...
>
> On my Toshiba Tecra 8100 suspend mode seemed to work flawlessly
> for several weeks, but when I did a shutdown and reboot, I found that
> the
> file system (EXT2) was corrupted beyond repair.  This happened
> twice
> so I stopped using it.  I now have a dell Latitude 840 and am
> afraid to try
> it for fear of losing my entire install again.

Some notebooks dump the contents of RAM, raw, to a certain portion of the
disk on certain APM modes.  You should check the docs for your system and
mark off any such portions of the disk with fdisk so you don't have a fs
that extends out into it.

Also, can you please configure Eudora to /not/ send HTML disguised as
plain text email?

-Peter