[lug] remote xterm question...

Dhruva B. Reddy bdhruva at gmx.net
Sun May 11 15:55:11 MDT 2003

There is a free X server included in the cygwin project.  It seems to
work pretty well (although I only used it for a couple of days when I
first started my job--I soon got my own Linux box).

-d

On Fri, 09 May 2003 at 20:20 -0600, Mr Viggy soliloquized thusly:
> Nothing free, I don't think.  There is XWin32, but that's not free
> (http://www.xwin32.com/).  It's basically your ol' remote UNIX display,
> but on a Windows client.  I've used it at a previous job, and it's
> pretty darn fast.  But, again, it's not free.
>
> I don't know of anything else.  VNC works for me, but then again, I'm
> going from Linux to Windows, not the other way around.
>
> Sorry.
>
> Viggy
>
> Joseph P. Crotty wrote:
> >>VNC will work.  It's not fast, and I don't know how secure it is.  But,
> >>it's free.
> >

> >I used to use CDE when I was on  Sun boxes.  I was aware of VNC, just
> >didn't
> >know if other solutions had cropped up since then.
> >

> >>Actually, I was it in the opposite way.  I have a VNC server running on
> >>my Win2K box, and I use the client program on my laptop (running
> >>Slackware Linux).
> >>
> >>There is a re-write, TightVNC, that is a little faster on updating the
> >>screen.  http://www.tightvnc.com/  TightVNC claims support wiht/through
> >>SSH, so it looks like it's secure.  I don't have experience with this,
> >>as I'm running it on my LAN, so I figure I'm secure already (I hope ;-)
> >

> >ditto, on the LAN security bit

> >>Join us on IRC: lug.boulder.co.us port=6667 channel=#colug

> >Join us on IRC: lug.boulder.co.us port=6667 channel=#colug
> >
> >.

 "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
 safety deserve neither liberty or safety. Nor, are they likely to end
 up with either."-- Benjamin Franklin