[lug] remote xterm question...: X servers for Windows

John E. Koontz koontz at boulder.nist.gov
Mon May 12 13:48:49 MDT 2003

At 12:02 PM 5/12/2003 -0600, Philip Cooper <Philip.Cooper at openvest.org> wrote:
>I'vefound even 100mbs eathernet connections sluggish with xterm gui
>stuff.  If you are talking about doing this over the Internet, be sure
>about responsivness/speed before you spend $.02.  I do everything I need
>with puTTY, (telnet should be off in almost all circumstances).

Yes, you wouldn't use this to get a shell client, but there are lots of
clients where the X approach provides access to something text in a shell
window isn't - typically graphics and/or GUI widgets, sometimes font
service (for commercial fonts).  If you just want to talk to shells, open
an ssh window or two.

If you do need to use X facilities you can save some time by not
secure-piping X clients, if you don't care who sees the bits.
John E. Koontz
NIST 896.04 PCSG
303-497-5180

N39° 59' 42.1" W 105° 15' 49.7"