[lug] Execute a local binary from a 'form' in konqueror

Jason W. Strnad jstrnad at mac.com
Mon May 12 08:23:39 MDT 2003

I'm endeavoring to setup a linux box that will pass the 'grandma test'.
  What I am attempting feels Bad and Wrong (TM), but it seems to be the
best solution for all involved, and I hope to get some input from you
guys.  (or at least some good flames. =)

So, I have whipped up a little shell script that determines how
Konqueror should be launched based upon whether there is an internet
connection (if ppp0 then foo else bar).  If I have a connection I load
a web page, if I don't I load a local html file that has instructions
on how to connect, complete with links.  Currently one of the links is
to a local binary (kppp), and as it is simply an html file a warning
you about executing binaries from web pages (as well it should).

I'm not stuck on this form being in HTML, or anything else for that
matter, only that the dialer be executable from the form.  I'd rather
the form load in Konqueror since that is her interface and icons and
menus mostly confuse her.  Also, the machine cannot connect
automagically because she only has a single phone line and has a
medical monitoring service (to ensure she hasn't fallen and cant get
up) which needs the phone to be available.  (short phone calls and
internet sessions are ok)

Any suggestions?

--
Jason W. Strnad