[lug] Kernel NFS problems?

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Mon May 12 21:31:31 MDT 2003

Bear Giles said:
> Have other people had problems with kernel NFS servers?  Esp. with
> Mozilla?  Or could this be a problem with mixed kernel versions
> (2.4 on server, still running 2.2 on client)?
>
> (I'm not suggesting that there's anything wrong with Mozilla.  On  the
> contrary, I suspect it's more likely to do things "right" and  get
> caught by an intermittently flaky server.)

By NFS do you mean Network File System?  I'm pretty confident that Mozilla
doesn't know anything about NFS.  That's kind of the point.  If your
Mozilla relies on an NFS fs and it is flaky it could cause problems for
Mozilla (i.e. Having the prefs file or the cache disappear during
operation would be bad.)

In my (somewhat limited) experience Linux to Linux NFS "just works."
Going between platforms can be flaky.  It might be worth your time to
upgrade the client anyway.  (But be aware that you will probably have to
update a laundry list of support packages first.)

Hope that helps a little.  If not, send a more descriptive question to the
list.

-Peter