[lug] Monitor Email

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue May 13 00:41:29 MDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 23:52, jd wrote:
> Hello,
>  A client of mine has asked if I can set up a way
> for him to monitor email. He actually wants to see
> the content.

First, I hope you and your client are being ethically and legally
correct here.  He's got a right to read the email, and the emailers have
been informed, etc?

If the network structure supports it, what I would do is set the
firewall to block all outgoing email and require the use of an internal
SMTP server to forward email.  Set that server to copy email to another
file.

As one of your client's emailers, I would of course immediately start
using GPG and anonymous remailers to encrypt everything.  Just because
I'm contrary and enjoy poking authority.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>