[lug] Monitor Email

John E. Koontz koontz at boulder.nist.gov
Tue May 13 14:25:27 MDT 2003

At 01:22 PM 5/13/2003 -0600, JD wrote:
>well, the mail server is not on the lan that i get to work with. And I
>dont even have a public IP to set one up. Any suggestions?
>
>thanks,
>jd
>
>p.s. as far as legality...Hey, its his world, Im just a squirrel
>tring to get a nut :p

A party who wants to see all the mail passing through a server is engaged
in very questionable activities, legally speaking, though I've heard
various views on that.   I do know of a person who was fired and prosecuted
for it.  A person who wants to do this and has no access to the server is
in organizational as well as a rather more certain legal jeopardy.  When
the party of the first part's activities are discovered, the party of the
second part will be what I think is technically called "party before the
fact."    Party to what, I'm not sure, but it won't be a nut.
John E. Koontz
NIST 896.04 PCSG
303-497-5180

N39° 59' 42.1" W 105° 15' 49.7"