[lug] Monitor Email

jdavis jd at taproot.bz
Tue May 13 17:11:53 MDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 14:25, John E. Koontz wrote:
> At 01:22 PM 5/13/2003 -0600, JD wrote:
> >well, the mail server is not on the lan that i get to work with. And I
> >dont even have a public IP to set one up. Any suggestions?
> >
> >thanks,
> >jd
> >
> >p.s. as far as legality...Hey, its his world, Im just a squirrel
> >tring to get a nut :p
>
> A party who wants to see all the mail passing through a server is engaged
> in very questionable activities, legally speaking, though I've heard
> various views on that.   I do know of a person who was fired and prosecuted
> for it.  A person who wants to do this and has no access to the server is
> in organizational as well as a rather more certain legal jeopardy.  When
> the party of the first part's activities are discovered, the party of the
> second part will be what I think is technically called "party before the
> fact."    Party to what, I'm not sure, but it won't be a nut.
> John E. Koontz
> NIST 896.04 PCSG
> 303-497-5180
>
> N39° 59' 42.1" W 105° 15' 49.7"

look Im just a contractor trying to pay off my car and the many
other bills I have. If the owner of the company wants to view all the
mail sent from his office...I will oblige him. All the employes know..
so its no big deal.

Futhermore..the handbook for the company says very clearly...

"No personal internet use of any kind while on the clock"

so the question of ethics is put on the user. This would not even
be happening had the users not abused our internet connection and
tried to bill the company for the time wasted.

I like the idea of blocking all free mail services but the problem is
employies are using the companys pop accounts for jacking around too.

So the only option is to view the mail coming in and out via company
email account (witch is work related anyway...right?) and block all
others.

as far as not having access to the mail server...
We have someone host our domain and our domain mail....at there
location. So, i dont have root and the machine is not on my lan.

thanks,
jd