[lug] Monitor Email

John E. Koontz koontz at boulder.nist.gov
Tue May 13 18:18:00 MDT 2003

At 05:16 PM 5/13/2003 -0600, JD wrote:
>  If the owner of the company wants to view all the mail sent from his
> office...I will oblige him.  ll the employes know.. so its no big deal.

Finesse it?  Claim it's being done and have the owner glare at the suspects
periodically?

>I like the idea of blocking all free mail services but the problem is
>employies are using the companys pop accounts for jacking around too.

Or you can insist that employees use one of the free mail services (or a
private service they pay for) in lieu of a company account, allowing as
company accounts only "role" accounts read by anyone relevant.  A lot of
places seem to do that.

>So the only option is to view the mail coming in and out via company email
>account (witch is work related anyway...right?) and block all others.

The mail service provider may offer services like filtering or logs or
aliasing.   On site you can perhaps require mail folders to be group owned.

You can filter your net traffic (if the mail isn't encrypted).

Some people also claim that this sort of thing is best handled as an
employee relations problem.

>as far as not having access to the mail server... We have someone host our
>domain and our domain mail....at there location. So, i dont have root and
>the machine is not on my lan.

I'd start by seeing what "policing options" the service provider
offers.  They might charge extra, but personally reading everyone's mail
isn't going to be cheap either, and their alternatives may be cheaper.
John E. Koontz
NIST OCIO CASD (182)
303-497-5180

N39° 59' 42.1" W 105° 15' 49.7"