[lug] NFS mount woes

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Tue May 13 23:51:39 MDT 2003

Hey all,

I have a custom-compiled (think LFS) Linux system I'm using.  I have
another Red Hat system serving files via NFS and Samba.  When I try to
mount via NFS the custom system, it takes a looooong time (10+ minutes)
for the mount to succeed.

On the custom (NFS client) system, when I issue

mount -t nfs redhat:/data /data

I see the server log file report the mount request instantly:

May 13 23:47:43 redhat rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from
192.168.1.111:668 for /data (/data)

However, the client system chews on it for a while (the mount process
can't be killed, BTW) and eventually succeeds.  Then NFS works just
dandy.

Does anyone have any insight into this?  Google and HOWTO's don't seem
to address a delay that ends up being successful-- only delays that
fail.  And yes, portmap *is* running on the client, and /etc/exports is
correct on the server.  Other clients (running Red Hat) connect
quickly; it's just the custom system.

TIA,
Jeff