[lug] [bhukill at nsllc.com: Need help with Linux 2.5.69 Kernel]

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Thu May 15 09:31:58 MDT 2003

Jonathan Corbet said:
>> Is there a procedure list
>> for how to dynamically get modules enabled for the 2.5.69 kernel?
>> I've looked everywhere, and haven't found what I've been looking for.
>
> You have to install the new module tools, since the module loader has
> changed.  See:
>
> 	http://lwn.net/Articles/18855/

To expand on this a bit:

Whenever you upgrade your kernel from source you /must/ consult
linux/Documentation/Changes.  Specifically the "Current Minimal
Requirements" section.  The relevant line in this case would seem to be:

   o  modutils               2.4.2                   # insmod -V"

Strangely, this nugget of wisdom /used/ to be in the Linux Kernel Howto
IIRC, but isn't at this time.

-Peter