[lug] Kernel NFS problems?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu May 15 13:23:25 MDT 2003

Bill Jorgensen wrote:
> On Mon, 12 May 2003, Bear Giles wrote:
>
> I have had tons of issues with NFS servers, but not in this particular
> context. I generally equate NFS with a network file systems (mounting,
> automounting, etc.) What are the specific issues?

Mozilla was locking up - windows wouldn't update, etc., for a
couple minutes.  Other applications didn't seem to be affected,
and the problem only started after switching from user- to
kernel-space NFS servers.

But I now think it's an unrelated hardware issue - the system
rebooted without explanation a couple times... and sometimes got
hung up during the reboot.  I reseated everything and it seems to
work fine now.  The other sessions would have been unaffected
since the current directory was in a local partition.

But in the meanwhile I've been thinking that AFS may be a better
fit for me anyway.  Unfortunately I can't seem to compile the
(OpenAFS) kernel module.  *sigh*