[lug] Real Operating Systems

ljp ljp at llornkcor.com
Thu May 15 17:58:26 MDT 2003

On Thursday May 15 2003 03:35 pm, John E. Koontz wrote:
> A few questions ...  as we all know, real operating systems have
> kernels.  Does Windows (an operating system with a well-know GUI shell and
> Web browser that claims to be a monolithic computer controlling,
> web-accessing piece of software)  have as recognizable kernel?   Does this
> kernel-oid thing have a name and version numbers, etc.?
>
> What about the GUI shell-oid?   Does it have a name and version numbers
> different from the putative kernel?   Has anyone managed to substitute a
> different shell for use with the kernel?

yes. Despite microsofts misinformation, it is a lot like any other OS. There
is a kernel , krnl386.dll and there are substitute shells, litestep is a very
good one. and you can still boot to DOS.

--
My cat's a debugger....

Potter, Lorn, "ljp"
core developer / Web Administrator
Project OPIE- the Open Palmtop Integrated Environment
http://opie.handhelds.org
IRC: irc.freenode.net #opie #opie.de

llornkcor at handhelds.org
llornkcor at helixcommunity.org