[lug] Real Operating Systems

ljp ljp at llornkcor.com
Thu May 15 22:33:30 MDT 2003

On Thursday May 15 2003 04:23 pm, D. Stimits wrote:
> Peter Hutnick wrote:
>  > D. Stimits said:
>  > >John E. Koontz wrote:
>  > >>What about the GUI shell-oid?   Does it have a name and version
>  > >>numbers different from the putative kernel?   Has anyone managed to
>  > >>substitute a different shell for use with the kernel?
>  > >
>  > >My limited understanding of this (YMMV) is that the gui is integrated
>  > >with the kernel, they cannot be separated.
>  >
>  > False.  Windows 3.x was sold as a DOS add on.  Win9x ran on top of DOS,
>
> I'm speaking strictly in terms of the newest flavors, including NT,
> Win2k, and so on. 3.x is way beyond the past of the stone ages, of
> course it is different. Just try to remove the look and feel of any of
> the more current flavors without touching the kernel, you can't do it.

Just install litestep
http://www.litestep.net/
it only replaces explorer.exe, doesnt touch the kernel.
Heck, someone even ported blackbox to windows.
http://www.desktopian.org/bb/

> The question seems to be about current versions of windows, not about
> DOS, which is almost an alien entity in comparison. MS is trying to dump
> these old legacy systems...when was the last time someone you knew
> wanted to know how to change the look and feel of a windows 3.1 machine?

MS is the king of marketting. They would love you to believe that windows
doesnt have DOS in it anymore. DOS is still there. Although on nt/win2k/xp it
is 32 bit.