[lug] proxy firewall help(urgent!!!)

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Fri May 16 06:18:09 MDT 2003

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 03:49:49PM +0530, Anil Garg wrote:
> Hi,

Anil, why do you double-post? It's pretty early in Boulder -- some
people might actually sleep ;-)

> There is a proxy firewall inbetween the client(Xperts) and the server(ND).
> Its the first time we have used this client with "proxy" firewall.

Hmm, not everyone knows what Xperts and NDs are. Having to guess it
(anilg at in.niksun.com -> www.niksun.com -> Products) doesn't speed up
the process.

> Client needs two ports 80 and 443 to talk with server. Both these ports are
> allowed in the proxy firewall settings. Server can be browsed(http) using
> the web browser from client. But when trying to connect using Xperts(from
> client machine) it is not able to connect to the server.

Hmm, i *guess* your Xperts do _not_ use either port 80 or 443.

> "proxy firewalls" are new to me...Can there be something specific about
> proxy firewalls which doesnt let me commnicate with server.

Yes, the whole idea of proxy firewalls is that you can't communicate
directly with the outside (hence "proxy").

> One more thing...On using tunnelling via SSH it works fine(client can talk
> with server well).

Because, most likely, port 22 (ssh port) is open on the firewall. SSH is
pretty hard to proxy :-)

> I dont have the exact firewall settings now as this setup is at the client
> site.(pls tell if needed / or things which can be checked)
>
> Please tell if some more about proxy firewall is needed? Also tell if more
> info is needed about the client or server.

Your problem is pretty easy to solve: just write a proxy for your
ND protocol. The binary format of this proxy depends on the firewall
you use.

 hth Ralf Mattes