[lug] non-linear loss of time

Nick Golder purenrg at hiveportal.net
Sun May 18 10:43:45 MDT 2003

On 03-05-18 10:00 -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> The dying CMOS battery was mentioned, another possibility if the computer is
> very old and losing time only when it's on, is that this could be an
> indication of a noisy power supply failing, or an oscillator (crystal)
> that's not working properly anymore.

I hadn't thought of the power supply because it is fairly new.  But that
doesn't mean it isn't the culprit.  As for the oscillator, I was
thinking if something along the lines of this was failing, it would be
degrading the time in a linear fashion.  Am I just off on this?

--
-Nick Golder
http://www.hiveportal.net