[lug] X11 Protocol, migrating windows to remote displays

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Sun May 18 17:01:12 MDT 2003

Does anyone here know the X11 protocol well enough to say how easy it
would be to write an app (or modify xterm/konsole/gnome-terminal) to
allow migrating an X11 terminal to a remote display *after* the app has
started? I have an integrated app that I want to run entirely on one
machine, but I want the multiple windows it produces to be able to
migrate to/from a remote display. If I set $DISPLAY ahead of time, the
entire app goes to the remote display; even if I wanted that, it would
not allow me to migrate the window back to the original machine at a
later time. I'd like to be able to take an ID from a visible window or
widget, and tell X11 to redisplay on some other machine.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com